There are several steps you can take to protect your home and septic system. How well do you know the needs of your septic system? Here are the dos and don’ts of septic maintenance.
- Do- Limit use of garbage disposal.
- Do- Throw food scraps into the trash.
- Do- Use a drain filter to catch food waste.
- Don’t- Pour grease, oils or fats down the sink.
- Don’t- Dump coffee grounds into the sink.
- Don’t- Throw fibrous or expandable foods down your drain.
- Do- Flush only toilet paper and human waste down the toilet.
- Do- Use a drain cover to stop hair or pet fur from entering the pipes.
- Don’t- Flush non-degradable products such as feminine hygiene products, dental floss, wipes, diapers, cigarette butts, cat litter, paper towels or pharmaceuticals.
- Do- Stagger showers.
- Do- Use water-conserving faucets and showerheads.
- Don’t- Overload the washing machine. Instead, stick to one or two loads a day.
- Don’t- Drain excess water from roofs, sump pumps, pools or hot tubs onto the secondary treatment bed.
- Do- Get your tank cleaned every 2 years and have a maintenance plan setup.
- Do- Keep the septic lid clear and easy to access.
- Do- Have a detailed record of repairs, pumpings, inspections, permits issued, and other maintenance activities.
- Don’t- Enter the tank. Instead, contact a professional for help.
- Don’t- Plant trees and shrubs too close to the septic tank.
- Don’t- Park, drive or build over the secondary treatment.
Contact Supeck Septic Services
Are you following all the dos and don’ts? Our team at Supeck Septic Services has years of experience and knowledge to help you manage your system properly. Give us a call at (888) 725-0209.