Spring has sprung and summer is not far behind! Now is the time of year we all flock to our yards to tend to the garden and tidy up the lawn. If you have a septic tank, you know that it’s not the most flattering addition to your yard. Not to worry! Here are some ways to make your septic tank blend in with the rest of your lawn decor.
Try these ideas for hiding your septic tank:
- Rocks: Rocks are one of the best options to landscape close to your septic tank lid. Since they can easily be moved around, they will not be in the way when you need to have your septic system serviced.
- Lid Covers: Other than placing rocks around your tank, you can purchase an artificial rock cover that goes right over the lid. If you’re looking for something with a bit more color and whimsy you can also buy a mosaic lid cover, or craft one of your own!
- Wine Barrel: If you want to get creative, cut a wine barrel in half and place flowers on top to give it the appearance of a large planter. Lay it over your tank the same way you would with a lid cover.
- Lightweight Decoration: Lightweight lawn ornaments, such as a potted plant, bird baths and light statues, can be placed on top of the lid. Just make sure you can easily remove them when needed.
Here’s what not to do:
- Mulch: Mulch and septic tanks are not the best match. If mulch gets into your septic system it can clog pumps and pipes.
- Trees: Roots from trees can get into your septic system causing failure. If you are planting trees, you should keep them at least 25 feet away from any part of your system.
- Grass: You can grow grass around the lid and over the drain field, but you should avoid growing anything directly on top of the lid. If you grow grass over the tank, you’ll need to dig it up everytime it needs to be serviced.
- Vegetable Garden: Vegetable gardens should not be grown near your septic tank. The waste from your system can easily travel into your garden before it is treated and contaminate your vegetables.
Contact Supeck Septic this spring!
While you’re getting the yard ready for summer, don’t forget to prep your septic tank as well. We’ve been providing the same one-on-one personal service since 1968. Contact Supeck Septic Services at (888) 725-0209 for septic cleanings and inspections.